Tuesday, September 29, 2015

OUTDOOR ILLUMINATION

Over the course of the summer I have been diligently working on getting the seating and dining area of our backyard patio updated so that when the fall weather rolls into Texas we can have a nice outdoor spot to relax and also enjoy some meals with our friends and family!  We already had the furniture but it needed some definite love and attention.  Since I am doing a minor facelift and not completely revamping the patio I did a lot of projects to make the changes come to life.  You may remember me posting about how I went about painting the outdoor coffee table but this space required more than just painting some pieces of furniture to make it feel nice and new.

So I began thinking of ways to freshen it up a bit and one of the first things that came to my mind was lighting!  Outdoor lighting can make a huge impact and help your patio feel like an actual room.  And for me that was the goal…for it to be an extension of our interior gathering spaces.  I am obsessed in love with cafĂ©, bulb lighting so it was a MUST that we had some hanging from the pergola and I opted to use this in the lounge area.


So now…what do I do for the dining area?  My dreams obviously consisted of a beautiful chandelier but the pergola is 14-feet high and does not have wiring (and we know adding it is NOT in the budget) so I had to think of something else.  Being a girl I naturally opted for candlelight…it creates such a calm setting and dare I say even kind of romantic!  I didn’t just want to use candles as the centerpiece on the table though…I wanted some kind of hanging candle chandelier (similar to the one below from Pottery Barn).


My creative juices started flowing and I decided to do a hanging shelf with several candles of varying heights.  It’s DIY time!!  Off to the store I went in search of my materials.  I ended up at Hobby Lobby and found this piece of raw wood!  It was perfect for my project!  And while I was there I picked up the candles for it.


I already had this rope at the house so I decided I would drill holes in the four corners and string it through them.



I bought some brackets and “S” hooks from Lowes to hang it from the pergola.


And here is the final project all put together!  As soon as I get some good nighttime pictures I will show you.




Not bad for a DIY project huh?  It was less than $20 (without the candles) and is a great look that adds warmth while keeping the feel of the outdoors!  My husband even likes it so it can’t be overly girly!

No comments:

Post a Comment