Tuesday, September 15, 2015

FALL IS IN THE AIR

Oh how I love this time of year!  It is so enjoyable updating and changing décor as the season’s change and holidays approach!  Although it is still 90+ degrees here in Texas I’m not letting it stop me from bringing fall into our humble abode!  I know we have been in our house for a little over three years but this is not something I have focused on until this year and now I am going to share some autumn decor with you.  I do not want to go overboard with it so I have only changed a few things here and there in the Kitchen and Family Room.  And the great news is that it was done on a minimal budget by using a lot of what I already own and purchasing only a few items!

I started with the fireplace mantel.  Just FYI when it comes to mantel décor my outlook is the more simple the better.  I switched out my spring and summer stems to pussy willow stems with white navy beans as vase filler. I also draped a “FALL” banner, which I printed myself, with twine to the gray distressed mirror.



I did a little shopping in my pantry and found several different sizes of mason jars and added long grain brown rice with white votives for candleholders.


To add a couple more “fall” things to the Family Room, I went to my décor closet and grabbed one of the million clear vases I have and hot-glued rope to it.  This helped add some rustic and natural texture to the vase.  I replaced the candles that are normally in the lantern with pumpkins and gourds.  I love the color that it adds which is exactly what I was going for.  I picked them up for $5 at my local grocery store…SCORE!!


I may think about adding some pillows to the sofa but for the time being that’s it for the Family Room.  Now onto the Kitchen!  Just a few minor changes in here but that’s how I like to do things.  Just a hint of the season here and there throughout the house.  The apothecary jars on the countertop are normally filled with lemons and limes but I needed something more subdued and richer in color.  Small red apples and subtle green pears did just the trick! 


On the island I filled the pitcher with wheat and the trifle dish with pine cones that were picked up at my mom’s house.   Can’t beat free decorations! I purchased the dough bowl last year from Hobby Lobby and it is perfect for all seasons!  I like that it is narrow and doesn’t take up much space.  And don’t the mini white pumpkins look adorable in it?!?  I know it’s surprising with my love of neutrals but there is just something I LOVE about white pumpkins!



That’s it for now!  So all in all for my fall decorating I bought some stems (wheat & pussy willows) from Hobby Lobby for half off, fake fruit and pumpkins and gourds and all for about $25.  I am working on some DIY pumpkins for the breakfast table and will let you know how that goes…fingers crossed it isn’t a fail.  And I am also working on a fall Dining Room tablescape. Are there any special touches you add to your home when fall comes?

No comments:

Post a Comment