Tuesday, June 23, 2015

COFFEE TABLE REFRESH

What a crazy last couple of weeks it has been!  I have finished up a lot of my projects around the house and have a lot to share with you.  As I have said before no space is ever 100% complete but these are finished enough to make me excited about them!

The first project I am going to share with you is the patio coffee table update.   Ideally, I would have replaced it (along with a lot of our outdoor furniture) but that is not really in our budget at the moment.  I am all about making things over on a budget so I knew a little paint and elbow grease could make a huge improvement!  It started out as a dark brown stained slat table.


It looked great for a little while but after the Texas sun had a couple of years with it the table looked very faded and worn.  And unfortunately, not in that great, worn vintage way!  Can you see my sad face behind my words?!?

We have a lot of darker pieces on the patio so I knew I did not want to re-stain it a similar color.  So I opted to paint it off-white, slightly distress it, and put a light brown glaze over it.

The first stage was to wipe it down and get it primed.


After the primer was dry I painted the table.  It took 3 coats to completely cover it.  Then came the distressing part.  To do this I took sandpaper to the corners and edges after the paint had dried.  I had never done this before so I was a little nervous about how it would go but it wasn’t too painful at all.  It is true that you really can’t screw it up!  Here is an up close picture because it is not super noticeable from far away.


Time to glaze!  I put a generous amount on the entire table. 


Because I wanted a subtler look I only let the glaze set for about five minutes before wiping it off.  Had I left it on longer it would have ended up darker but I was going for a little more of a contrast with the other furniture we have out there.


And here it is set up after it was all dry! 



I am so happy I decided to give it a makeover instead of buying a new one.  I love how it turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment