Wednesday, April 29, 2015

OH BABY!

I have to admit one of my favorite spaces to design is a nursery.  Just the thought of a sweet little angel sleeping in a well-organized and of course adorable space brings a smile to my face! 

In 2011 I found out I was pregnant with a little boy and of course I was over the moon!  I started buying tiny baby boy clothes, having things monogrammed (I am a sucker for it!) and naturally I could not wait to start planning the nursery.  At the time one of my best friends and fellow designers, Emily Hewett, was in the first year of her blog and design business so we decided Baby Oliver’s nursery would be a great project to collaborate on…I mean two designer minds are better than one, right?!?

I knew that I wanted something more modern and not overly “baby”.  To achieve this look simple furniture and geometric patterns was the way to go.  I had tans, browns and accents of blue throughout the rest of my house so I went with something different for his room and used gray, white and yellow for the color scheme.

Jenny Lind crib

Waverley Cross Section Charcoal fabric



With the simplicity of everything going into the room it definitely needed a “wow” factor.  Something to grab your attention when you walked in.  So Emily and I put our creative caps on and decided it needed stripes…chunky, gray and white stripes around the entire room.   And to this day that is one of my favorite things I have done in our entire house.  We get compliments on it ALL of the time!  You can see the full blog post she did for the design board and finished product HERE.  And since I was only one day away from giving birth when the room was coming to completion she even came over and hung the paper poufs over the crib and helped with all of the finishing touches.  Aren't I a lucky gal to have her as a friend?!?



And when we moved to our current home a few years ago I moved it all with me and recreated it as closely as possible...stripes and all!  However, this little boy got lucky and his room has quite a bit more space so I added a couple of bookcases on each side of the crib.  They are simple white IKEA bookcases and I painted the backs of them yellow to add some pizzazz.  Since he was almost 1 when we moved I did not keep the paper poufs over the crib.  Knowing his room would be changed within the next year or so I did not want to spend a lot of money on anything so I decided on a DIY canvas to be centered over his crib.  I bought a blank square canvas, some wood letters and acrylic paint to coordinate with his room.  It was a very inexpensive project but turned out to be a cute addition to his new room!




The nursery ended up exactly how I envisioned it!  My sweet little baby is now three and has a totally different room but this was a fun trip down memory lane for me so thanks for joining me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment