Thursday, July 2, 2015

MURPHY BREAKFAST ROOM

Several months ago the Murphy's contacted me and let me know they were buying a new house and wanted me to help them design some spaces.  I have known them several years now so of course I happily obliged!  We started with the Family Room and Breakfast Room and today I am going to share the Breakfast Room design with you.

I assisted Beth with shopping for the larger pieces of furniture and then styled everything once it was all delivered.  I’m happy to say this is a growing family…they have two beautiful daughters and a sweet little boy on the way!  That being said, this is a place where the family gathers in the mornings and evenings for meals so the furniture needed to seat five and also be able to take the wear and tear of three little ones!

Here is the room before we started and before they moved in.  It is definitely an empty, blank slate.  But that is all about to change!  PS - sorry about the dark phone pics!



We selected a round pedestal table where the size worked well with five chairs surrounding it and was also a mid-tone distressed wood.  It will be very easy to clean, will coordinate with everything and will also hold up to the stress it is bound to receive from homework to food fights!  I pray the latter doesn’t happen too often for them!


The linen chairs help to soften the space and although they may not seem too practical they will hold up well since they are neither too dark or too light.  And they are also very budget friendly!  I love the shape of them and the large nail heads!


A jute rug is the perfect option for this space since there will be a lot of food ending up on the floor!  The durability of it will be very beneficial and the natural element brings in a new texture to the space.


Now for the final touches…my favorite part!  The draperies are a textured fabric in a combination of cream, charcoal gray and linen and tie in the dark gray barstools located at the island and the linen table chairs.  The classic white dishes and neutral linens help to make the space feel more sophisticated and the natural elements of the centerpiece help make it more every day casual.




Hopefully they have been enjoying many family meals in their newly updated Breakfast Room!  Next week I will show you the Murphy’s Family Room!

No comments:

Post a Comment