Monday, February 16, 2015

Buffet to Coffee Bar


When we moved into our new house there were several pieces of furniture that we had to find a new use for.  One of them was this console table. 


We bought it when Oliver, our first son, was born and kept it in our Family Room.  All of our bedrooms were upstairs and as previously stated in my last post we did not have any storage downstairs so we needed something to put diapers and wipes, blankets and baby toys in.

In the new house it became a buffet in our Breakfast Room.  It held the usual items...table linens, napkin rings, silverware and other small accessories.

One day my husband decided he wanted a new, fancy coffee maker.  Works for me!  I put him in charge of shopping and purchasing the new machine.  You all know how that goes...he picks out the one he likes and that's it.  That's the one we are getting.  Well, he didn't look at any dimensions and of course once he gets it home and set everything up we realize it doesn't fit on the Kitchen countertops.  YIKES!!  What do we do?  I guess our buffet is going to be our new coffee bar!

Since we were changing the use of the table I wanted to give it a face lift!  I had only painted a small nightstand before but figured this couldn't be too bad.  It definitely worked within my budget...some paint, glaze and new hardware.  And other than painting outside in the heat of the Texas summer it wasn't too bad of a project!

Here is how it all started...by removing the hardware and doors.


Next step is to bring out the primer!  I use Kilz Primer for all of my painting projects that need priming.  For me, this is the worst part of the project because I always think, "Ohhhhhh no!!  What did I do?"  I am afraid it will end up looking like this after it is painted as well.  Thank goodness I am always wrong.


Time for paint!  I knew I wanted something dark and I decided on a charcoal gray.  Here it is with the first coat of paint.



I knew it needed at least two more coats of paint but something about it just wasn't doing it for me.  Maybe because the lines of the buffet were so simple and clean it just needed some more pizazz!  So I decided to add a black glaze to it and that did the trick!  I had never used glaze before so I was a little nervous but it really was easy.  It added depth and texture to this piece of furniture.



After the final coat of varnish was dry I reinstalled the doors and moved it back into the house.  Now all it needed was a little sparkle...so I bought some new crystal cabinet knobs from Anthropologie for the doors and drawers.  These were perfect because the tied in the crystal and style of the chandelier in the Breakfast Room.



It definitely adds the weight and substance that was needed to the Breakfast Room.  And I really love having a coffee bar!  Everything is right there and easy to access for all of our coffee needs.  It still houses table linens but also all of our coffee mugs and cups and I added a tray with some hand towels, small basket for Keurig cups and sugar dish.




So there you have it!  My Breakfast Room DIY project changing a buffet for baby stuff into a coffee bar!  It was not a painful project and I am happy with how it turned out...especially the price!




1 comment: