Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Breakfast Room: Before & After


When my first son was born I remember asking my husband, "How long do you think it will be until we are ready to move?"  "Anywhere from one to five more years," was his response.  Well, the floor plan was not very functional for a growing family; there was no yard space and absolutely NO place to put anything.  Now I know every woman complains about not having enough storage space but in addition to small closets upstairs there was not one single linen or coat closet or even a pantry.  Needless to say, eleven months later we were on the move.  And for us, we hope it is the last move for us for a long time!

The new house was built about 20 years ago so there is a lot we want to do to it to make it ours and since we doubled the square footage of our previous home we were lacking a lot of furniture and decorative accessories.  And as much as I would love to have everything completed at once it just is not feasible for us.  The good news about this is that most everything in my house is budget friendly and I have a LOT of before and after pictures to share with you!

Today I am going to give you a glimpse into our breakfast room since this was the first room to be completely finished.  Here is how it started...green walls and a tiny white light fixture that screamed 1990!


Let the changes begin!  I started by having the walls painted Worldly Gray by Sherwin Williams and purchased some new furniture.  I also removed the light fixture and replaced it with a bronzed, crystal beauty!


Whew!  Now it's starting to look more like me!  Even just those few changes made a world of difference.  Next on the list to get were a rug and some draperies.  I love the texture and additional color the round, seagrass rug brings into this space.  For the draperies I knew that I wanted AND needed some pattern because although I am a sucker for soft neutrals, it sure can get washed out.  I did want to keep the tone on tone feel so I used a taupe and off-white Greek key fabric.  I was a little worried I would get tired of the pattern after some time but I still LOVE them!  I truly believe drapes can transform a room.


  
What do you think?  Is it a change for the better?  I have to admit the table is never set like this but I am so happy with how it all came together!  Such a change from when we originally moved in.  The last item on my checklist for this space is replacing the tile with some beautiful wood floors but that will be a ways down the road.  Believe me I will let you know when that happens!

2 comments:

  1. Love it, but of course that's no surprise! Looks fab! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great!! Can't waitt to see more!

    Emily Hewett
    A well Dressed Home

    ReplyDelete